Thursday, May 15, 2008

Glorious afternoon at the beach

Today is Teachers Day in Mexico, so teachers at all levels had the day off, and the schools were closed.

One of my colleagues at the Centro de Idiomas, Gregorio, offered to take me to see Zempoala and the beach nearby about an hour and 15 minutes away from Xalapa. As it turned out, we went in another teacher’s—Bertha’s—car, which has air conditioning while Gregorio’s doesn’t. Ana Lilia and Jose Miguel, two other English teachers, went with us as well.

Bertha, Gregorio, me, and Ana LiliaWe left Xalapa at 10 this morning and stopped first at Zempoala [pronounced Sem-poh-AH-lah] to see the pyramids there. Gregorio was an excellent guide and gave me the history behind this Totonacan site, which Hernán Cortez and his men came to and conquered in 1519. (In the picture above, you can see the Gladators' Stadium behind Bertha, Gregorio, me, and Ana Lilia.)

Tombs at QuiahuitzlanFrom the ruins at Zempoala, we drove to Quiahuitzlan [Key-ah-WHEATS-lan] to the place where the Totanacos built a city about mid way up a mountain that juts above the surrounding coastal area, renowned for its Totanac tombs and the gorgeous view of the beach below.
View of Villa Rica beach from Quiahuitzlan
On the way there, we made several stops at small stores to buy ice and beer. The beer wasn't hard to come by, but the ice was. Finally, we found a place that had some. As we headed back to the car, I caught José Miguel using a tree to scratch his back, El Oso--Jose Miguel using a tree to scratch his backbear-like, and couldn't resist taking a picture.

After we’d wandered around the ruins of Quiahuitzlan, we drove down to the beach of Villa Rica and headed straight for the water to cool off. I hadn’t brought my bathing suit, but I went in in my clothes. I loved being in the water, sometimes standing up to the waves and at other times bobbing with them. Here's a photo of Gregorio hamming it up. Gregorio clowning around

Finally, we went to a little restaurant, Los Cuates, in a little town nearby and had mojarra, a fish found in this area of Veracruz. It arrived, head, tail, and all, accompanied by pico de gallo, guacamole, and fresh corn tortillas. Deliciosa!

Supper at Los CuatesIt was evening when we headed back to Xalapa. We were all tired from the sun and sea, and it was good to get home. But we all agreed it had been a great way to spend El Dia de Maestros.

I’m heading out tomorrow for Puebla to meet my fellow Fulbright teachers Cece and Brenda. They’re leaving Mexico next month, so this will be our last hurrah together here. Lucky me—I’ll be here until the end of July.

4 comments:

Carol Anne said...

You may not have intended it that way, but at least with the Web browser that I'm using, the word Deliciosa! shows up as the caption for the picture of Gregorio hamming it up on the beach.

Of course, Gregorio might not mind all that much.

Jennifer said...

Great to get caught up! I loved reading about your mom - how can you remember everything so vividly?
Best,
Jen H.

Nancy King said...

Carol Anne, the word "Deliciosa" doesn't appear as a caption under Gregorio's photo on my computer--but if it does on others', well, it might add piquancy to the readers' experience, eh?

Thanks, Carol Anne.

Nancy

Nancy King said...

Carol Anne, the word "Deliciosa" doesn't appear as a caption under Gregorio's photo on my computer--but if it does on others', well, it might add piquancy to the readers' experience, eh?

Thanks, Carol Anne.

Nancy